Sunday 4 October 2009

Two weeks in...



Hey folks!


Well, I’ve been at University now for two weeks. It’s been fantastic so far. Fresher’s week was amazing and I think I’m just about settled in. I’m starting to get a little homesick, but I’m sure that will pass soon, as I still see my family a lot, and I purposely didn’t move more than half an hour away.

I’m living in a flat with 3 other people, and so far they all seem really nice. It’s a mixed flat, so I’m sharing with 2 guys and the other girl. We haven’t had any arguments yet, but we’re probably still a bit early for that, I can see a few arguments brewing though (the guys don’t really get on with each other very well). Probably mainly about football though.
Speaking of football, I’ve started watching Soccer Saturday on Sky Sports News. I’ve never been a big fan of football, and really, the only times I can say I keep up with it are when my brother and sister are arguing over the merits of their respective teams. So it came as a pretty big surprise to me that I actually enjoy this program. I don’t find myself going out of the room just so I don’t have to listen to it; I actually seem to be interested.
It probably has more to do with the actual program than the subject – often you will hear the different reporters shouting in the background as they watch the individual matches, and the main presenter seems to be able to keep it all fairly light hearted – less of a life and death thing than most. I still don’t think I could tell you even the basics about the game, never mind keep up with all the changes that go on. Neither could I ever explain the offside rule.

I helped my sister move away to University on Friday. I hadn’t really thought about her not being around until we got in the car. It took us about 3 hours to drive to her Halls, and I am really going to miss seeing her every week. She seemed to settle in quite well, and I have spoken to her today and she said she’s found some friends and has been out partying and making the most of her Fresher’s events which is a relief. I played it safe by staying so close to home, and am proud of her for seeing what she wanted, and going for it, no matter how scary moving so far away was for her.
It was actually a quite enjoyable journey. On the way there we stopped at a Garden Centre near Bakewell for a drink, and me and Sis shared the most delicious chocolate cheesecake. I swear it was the best I’ve ever had.
On the way home we were making good time and since Grandma was going out and we couldn’t be bothered cooking, we stopped at Compo’s Café in Holmfirth. I’ve never eaten there, but it’s like a legend around here, Last of the Summer Wine was filmed in Holmfirth, so everywhere you go you can see references to the show. The café has stills from the show on the walls, and the main cast has signed one of them. I really enjoyed myself there, and I hope I’ll get to go again.

One last thing about Friday. On the train back to Halls, I spotted a guy reading a book - called "How to read a book". This made me giggle. I looked at it on Amazon and I have to admit - it's an interesting idea.
So now my brother is the only one left living at home – well, at Grandma’s. And he’s threatening to come crash at my place a lot since I ‘don’t nag like Mum and Gran do’. I think I might have to have a word with him about that idea though. When he’s here he has a tendency to hog the computer which means I end up with no online time at all after I’ve deleted all the rubbish he has manage to install. How does one person manage to install enough rubbish (without setting off any of the administrator permissions) in 10 minutes that it then takes me an hour to undo?

I haven’t been on Second Life since I moved in (except for once to clear all my notices) so I will have to make sure I get online sometime this week. I’m missing it, and if I don’t get online soon I’m sure my avatar will be buried under the avalanche of inventory offers and notices I seem to get every day.

I'll be back soon.

xxClairexx

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Claire! I read that "How To Read a Book" book - basically he says that you MUST scribble in your books or you aren't really reading them. (picture me rolling my eyes!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean to actually write in a book! :O No! In that case I'll never read a book properly.

    ReplyDelete