Tuesday 9 March 2010

Books!

I'm incredibly bored atm, so I thought I would do a blog post and get an early night - I have a meeting tomorrow with my personal tutor at 9am, which means its gonna take me an hour or so to set enough alarms to get me out of bed...I'm just not used to getting up in the middle of the night anymore :-p


I thought I'd share with you some of my favourite books, and hope that you return the favour. I always love finding new series to read.
I always find it really difficult to pick only a few books for a list. My faves list depends on my mood, what I'm reading at the time, what books I have with me, and a few other things which I have no idea about. I often have more than one series on the go, so I'm just going to reel off a short list of books which I've been reading recently. Its just easier than trying to figure out my faves. No doubt I'll share more books in the future anyway.

One of my favourite authors is Keri Arthur. I was reading a series by Kim Harrison (her Rachel Morgan Series is awesome!) and was pointed towards Arthur's Riley Jenson, Guardian series. I was immediately hooked. This has to be one of my fave. She really pulled me into the whole Vampire/paranormal romance genre and I can't stop reaing. As soon as I get one of her books, I end up staying up all night reading it - I simply cannot put it down!
My fave series is set in an alternative Melbourne, where Vamps and Werewolves live openly among humans and are policed by the Directorate. Riley Jenson is part Werewolf, part Vampire and works for this organisation. Events unfold and push her towards a future she doesn't want - to become a Guardian.
I can't get enough, Riley is so well written, constantly making me laugh and cry...I cannot wait for the next installment.
Keri Arthur has a few other series, most of which I've either read or am in the process of reading. Every one so far has been fantastic!

Laurell K Hamilton's series about Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter is another vampire series I can't stop reading. Again, based in an alternative world where Vampires and Werewolves etc live openly with humans, Anita is a vampire hunter and necromancer/animator who works with the police as an expert for supernatural murders. She also happens to get deeper involved with the monsters she hunts than she'd like. The series has had quite a few people slating it because they dislike the path Hamilton has taken Anita in, but I can't find any problem with it, and I do adore the series...even if they do keep changing the cover art on me *shakes fist*

I'm about halfway through the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward. The series is based around a group of male vampires who protect the rest of the population from souless beings who keep trying to kill them. Each book is centred around one of the brotherhood finding someone to love, while continuing the story throughout the books. I love this series, not just because each of the guys is seriously yummeh, but I love the way the story is told, and the characters are awesome. Its kind of a mix of action, romance, horror and a few other bits thrown in.


There are a few other Vampire ones I'd share, but I'll save them for another time. Lets go with something else for a bit shall we?

The Earth's Children series by Jean M Auel - I've read this series so many times the books are starting to show it. There are 5 books in all, I've just reread the 3rd one and am about to start the 4th.
Its a series set towards the end of the last Ice Age, when there were two kinds of humans - Cro Magnon, and Neanderthal. Ayla is a young child (Cro Magnon), and her family have been killed in an earthquake. She wanders, lost, for days and is discovered and saved by a group of Neanderthals. The series is about her growing up with the group and discovering her own people. I find this story so easy to get really involved with. Auel is so descriptive that I can imagine the environment with incredible ease, and Ayla's story is one you just cannot help falling in love with. I have no doubt these will stay part of my collection for a long, long time.

PC Cast is another of those authors who seem to write a few series that I love. I've just read book one of her Parthalon series. Its about a teacher called Shannon Parker who (through a vase bought at an auction) ends up being pulled into a fairy tale world she had no idea existed. She also happens to have taken the place of the spiritual leader and has to help them get through tough times, all the time trying not to reveal who she really is. I bought book two yesterday and cannot wait to start it. Its an incredible story, and again, her attention to detail makes it almost as if you could step into the world you are reading about. It also happened to be the first e-book I've read!

Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy is spectacular. Set in a fantasy world, again with descriptions that make you feel you can reach out an touch it, I really connected with the main character. Sonea is a young girl living in the slums, fed up of her family and friends being treated horribly by the upper classes and Magicians. Every winter the Magicians clear the city of the poor, creating shields and pushing everyone out of the city. One year Sonea has had enough and decides to join the kids ineffectually throwing stones at the shields. She puts all her rage into the stone and is surprised at the results. She finds herself hunted, and has only her best friend to rely on. This is another of those books that grips you, and makes you laugh along with sonea, or cry. And I cried like a baby at parts of the series.
There is a prequal to the series which I haven't read yet, and a sequel trilogy which haven't yet been published. Also, there is another series, set in another world, called Age Of The Five. Its another trilogy about a priestess called Auraya. Its hard not to give much away, and I haven't read it in a while, but I remember running to buy the last book when it was published a copla of years ago. I really enjoyed it and I think I'll dig the series out soon to read it again.

I'm gonna stop now, but I'll probably share with you again soon.

Be back soon!

xxClairexx

No comments:

Post a Comment